Sunday, November 20, 2011

During the Concert

Tonight was Josiah's first official performance with the Treble Choir of the SVCC; and of course, he did phenomenally well.  Not that I'm biased or anything...  ;-)  Actually, both choirs (Treble Choir and Concert Choir) were outstanding; but to be honest, that's so normal that it hardly merits mention (but I'll mention it anyway).  :)  I realized once again this evening how blessed we are in our humble corner of the world to have such an amazing musical opportunity for our children.  I'm so very grateful.

I'm also a little worn out tonight--more emotionally than physically, I think--so all that I'll take the time to jot down tonight are a few things that David said during the concert.  He was my date to it, since Jeff generously offered to stay home with Tobin and Shav.  One part of the concert that David particularly liked was the last section when the youth orchestra was playing some of the dances from The Nutcracker, and some local ballet students danced to them.  When one of the girls came out dressed so prettily as the Sugar Plum Fairy, I heard him catch his breath and say in a tone of awe, "Oh my!"  And then, as her dance went on and David realized a little of the effort required to do what she was doing, he whispered to me, "She has to be a robot!"  :)

His comment that made me laugh the most, however, came during the intermission when we were watching the stage being set up for the orchestra.  I noticed the harpsichord and gave David an impromptu music history lesson, mentioning that during the time of J. S. Bach, for example, harpsichords were commonly used. I nearly cracked up when he innocently queried, "Were you alive when Bach lived?"  Funny, funny boy.  ;-)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful date! I love the robot response. It is amazing what ballerinas can do.

Unknown said...

Davene,

I'm just getting caught up on your posts and wanted to tell you how excited I am about your LITTLE GIRL! I am rejoicing with you today as you anticipate her arrival. What a blessing from a WONDERFUL God we serve!

Love you,
Christie

Anonymous said...

aww love the robot response! My sister danced in the nutcracker for years.. it holds a special place in my heart!

Unknown said...

Isn't it lovely when little boys understand how beautiful girls can be? I was walking on the beach with my youngest nephew once and he sighed as he watched a pretty girl walk along with her dog. "She looks just like Cinderella!" he said.