Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Recipe Box - French Toast Casserole

When my sister-in-law Lori served this to my family one day years ago when we spent the night in her home in Pennsylvania, I'm sure she didn't know it would become such a favorite in my household, too.  But because of her, I started making it; and it has turned into a well-loved choice for my kids when we're going to have a very special breakfast--or breakfast for dinner.  :)  

It's simple and easy to make and has the added advantage of being able to be prepared a day ahead of time, then baked the next day.  That's especially good for me because a morning person I am NOT, so if I had to make it on the same day as we ate it for breakfast, we would never eat it for breakfast.  ;-)
What You Need

1 cup brown sugar
½  cup butter
2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
12 slices wheat bread
6 eggs
1½ cups milk
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

What You Do

In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup.  Simmer until syrupy.  Pour into 9x13 inch pan.  Lay 6 slices of bread on sugar mixture.  Mix eggs, milk, salt, and vanilla.  Pour half of the egg mixture over the bread in the pan.  Layer remaining bread, pour remaining egg mixture on top.  If desired, sprinkle cinnamon on the top.  Cover pan with foil.  Refrigerate overnight.  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
With Christmas coming up, if you're hosting overnight guests and wondering what to feed them in the morning, might I suggest this simple casserole?  :)