Friday, January 16, 2015

When Uncle Doug Is in Town...

...it's always cause for a celebration!  You see, my oldest brother is a truck driver, covering the entire contiguous United States and seeing lots of amazing things along the way.  The whims of the trucking industry, however, make it difficult for him to plan his schedule to be here for holidays and other family get-togethers, so we don't get to see him often (plus, he makes his home in beautiful, sunny Florida with his wife Lisa and son Nicky, so when he does get to go home, he goes there, instead of to Virginia, and rightly so!).

Once in a while, however, he happens to be traveling through our town, although he rarely has time to stop and linger.  This week we were glad that his truck needed some repairs (yes, we were glad for that!), so he could stay around for a while!  :)

He came out for supper on Tuesday evening, and we relished each moment with him.  :)
 It didn't take long for the kids to ask him to play Spot-It.  He was a good sport and said yes.  :)
 Tobin was especially thrilled to see his Uncle Doug's shirt, because Tobin has a shirt just like his!  :)

 Shav took this next picture, and it's a little blurry, but I like it anyway.  :)
 After supper, Doug and my parents lingered around the table after everyone else had left; and as I watched them, I thought back to all the many meals they shared here (along with me and my other siblings) in this very kitchen when Doug was young.
 As always with these kinds of events, I wonder if my mother will even remember that this meal with Doug even happened.  Probably she won't.  But regardless, it did my heart good to see these three together like this.
And our welcome mat is already out for the next time Uncle Doug passes through our town!  :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh so glad he got to stop and visit!! Looks like it was a great one!!