Saturday, January 24, 2015

Borrowing a Dove's Wings

I believe it was during my sophomore year of college that my roommate had a beautiful poster of a bird in flight with the words of Psalm 55:6 on it: "Oh, that I had the wings of a dove!  I would fly away and be at rest."  I loved that picture and those words and often found myself glancing at it, especially during the challenges that year held for me.

Well, every year holds challenges; and as time has gone by, I have continued to remember that verse and have, at times, longed with great earnestness for dove's wings with which to escape and find rest.  I still haven't sprouted any, but Jeff has graciously provided some for me; and you know, they look an awful lot like airplane wings!  ;-)

It's likely that, while you're reading this, I will be in the air, flying across the continent from Virginia to British Columbia.  You see, my aunt lives there--the aunt whose husband passed away unexpectedly back in October--and Jeff has generously made a way for me to visit her.  In the fall, I wanted very much to fly up for the memorial service for Uncle Jay; but despite hours of searching, Jeff couldn't find any plane tickets that weren't horrendously expensive.  Plus, with very little time to arrange childcare, the logistics were overwhelming; and we scrapped the idea of me going north for a visit at that time.

Lo and behold, plane tickets to Canada in January were much cheaper; and with time to figure out how to make it work, we were able to plan for me to fly up to visit Aunt Joyce and some of my cousins, while Jeff stays here and keeps the home fires burning.  Jeff told me that he figured once in every 17 years of marriage, I could take a trip like this. ;-)

Seriously though, I am SO grateful for the way he made this happen and the way he is unselfishly taking on more of the tasks of keeping our family going, so I can run away for a few days.  I know our kids are in such good hands, and I have no doubt they're going to have a blast with him (and with some kind friends who are helping out, too)!  :)

To tell you the truth, it wasn't as if I was feeling desperate for an escape.  I LOVE my life and my role as a stay-at-home wife and homeschooling mother.  I feel like I'm doing what I was made to do!  :)  But on the other hand, to shake off those responsibilities for a few days feels pretty nice, too.  :)  

I don't think I'll be online much, if at all, so don't be surprised at my absence.  But what I will be doing is soaking up every minute with my extended family that I love so much and see so rarely, and recharging my batteries so that when I return home, I'll be filled to overflowing and ready to pour myself out again for this handsome son of mine...
...and his brothers and sister and their daddy.  I can already imagine how GOOD it will feel to have their arms around my neck again!

Who knows, I might be so filled up that I'm even happy to see this face again.
Maybe.  ;-)

2 comments:

Emily said...

Sad we didn't get to cross paths. Hope you have a wonderful visit with your family!

Emily said...

Sad we didn't get to cross paths. Hope you have a wonderful visit with your family!