Monday, October 1, 2012

The Other Side of the Apple Crate

Inspiration for new blog headers and layouts comes to me in different ways.  For this month's look, for example, it all started when I was in the basement of my parents' house and noticed an old apple crate on the floor.  "Hmmm," I mused, "I like that.  That has a lot of possibilities to be used as a photo prop."  That initial thought probably came into my head more than a year (or two? or more?) ago, and I tucked it away until further notice.  As this fall approached, I decided to feature Moriah in October's header, and what better thing to use with her than an apple crate with some crisp green apples?  The crate's time had come.

When I originally was thinking about a photo with this crate, I was planning to position the crate in such a way that I got some of the side of it as well as the end of it so the old writing could be seen...because writing on old stuff "has character," as my mother would say.  But when I looked at it more closely recently, I had to laugh.  The reason is obvious, right?
In large letters, the word "ROMNEY."  :)
Since this isn't a political blog at all, I didn't think it wise to show the name of one of the presidential candidates in my header the month before a national election!!  ;)  Obviously, Romney, in this case, refers to a town in West Virginia, not a man who's running for president, but still...  :)  So I turned the crate so only the side was visible, made a little nest in it for Moriah, then started snapping pictures.

I liked this one...until I noticed the big line of drool running down her chin (hey, at least it wasn't spit-up!)  :)
She was a little distracted.  I had to keep calling her name, making funny noises, and doing everything silly I could think of...
...to get her to even look at me.
See what I mean?  D-I-S-T-R-A-C-T-E-D.  ;)
And then Moriah's favorite Ninja showed up on the scene.
Doesn't it look like he's professing his undying love for her before he charges off to some battle?
(Were ninjas allowed to do that?  Profess undying love, I mean?)

Well, no matter.  Now that he's gone, it's...
...time for more apple pictures.
Until finally...
...I got these.

And I was satisfied.  :)

3 comments:

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Davene ... What can I say? They are wonderful!

Unknown said...

I love the ninja! What a wonderful distraction.

Anonymous said...

Davene, I'm glad you're still taking so many pictures of Moriah and the boys. I looked at my photos from September and didn't have any! I've never had a month like that - so I'm committed to more, but might visit here for more inspiration. And I just loved, loved, loved the photos of Moriah with her grandmother!