Monday, October 8, 2012

STUFF!

Every once in a while, I start to feel completely overwhelmed by how much stuff we have in our house.  Oh, we're not even close to the point of qualifying for a spot on the show Hoarders; but even still, WE HAVE SO MUCH STUFF.  I start to think things like, "If we just got rid of half our things--half our clothes, half our books, half our dishes, etc.--we'd be much better off.  I can't stand this anymore!"

I'm at that point now, in case you didn't notice.  ;-)  I'm sure the extra STUFF in our schedule recently hasn't helped my state of mind in regards to this issue, since everything that gets added to the schedule means my time for regular household cleaning and organization is lessened.  As laundry piles start to grow and toys get left out instead of being put away at night and a stack of papers that need attention is rising on the kitchen counter, my attitude becomes less serene, and I just want to throw away all this junk!  :)

With that in mind, I read an interesting article earlier today (linked to on Facebook by JDaniel4's Mom) about one mom who made the decision to essentially get rid of all of her children's stuff--and then, happily, enjoyed the fruit of that decision when she discovered that her children got along better and were more joyful and content without all of their stuff.

It's not the first time I've heard about this concept of parents radically decreasing the amount of things their children have, and then realizing that all of that stuff that was supposed to make their kids happy was really making them miserable (although the kids wouldn't have had the ability to recognize or verbalize that while they had the stuff).  Although I think the idea certainly has merit, I'm not seriously considering taking such a drastic action.

However, it does make the wheels in my brain turn as I ponder...

~ How does this apply in a large family?  Sure, I could get rid of plenty of toys that Josiah has no interest in whatsoever, and he would be happy to see them go.  But what about the other four little ones that are coming along behind him and might have enjoyed playing with those things?

~ Speaking of Josiah, he is my child that, so far, most often expresses a desire for order and seems most bothered by a chaotic environment.  In this area, he and I are alike.  David, on the other hand, never seems bothered by it.  He's the kind of kid that would let the dirty clothes pile up on the floor of his room until he'd used up all of his clean clothes...and then at that point, he might wonder where his clothes were and might come to the realization that he should make sure they got to the laundry room so they could be washed.  He's the boy who, night after night, takes a different book to bed so he can read for a little while before lights-out; but he never actually returns those books to the shelf so a pile grows and grows on his bed...and he doesn't seem to mind a bit.  He is also the child who dearly LOVES to go to McDonald's...not so much for the food, but for the toy he gets in the kids' meal.  So far at least, his love language seems to definitely be GIFTS in a major way.  Bottom line:  he loves stuff.  My dilemma?  How do I apply radical downsizing and simplifying without essentially making him feel unloved?  I used to be a gifts person, and in my mind, those items were strongly connected with people; the things were visual symbols of love.  I believe that's the same for David; and if so, how do I help him learn to let go of things without emptying his love tank?

~ Christmas is approaching, and both Jeff and I truly enjoy giving gifts to the boys--finding things we think they'll like, anticipating the joy on their faces, etc.  It really brings joy to us as well.  It's not that we spend hundreds of dollars on each child, or fill the living room floor with wrapped gifts on Christmas Eve, or anything like that.  On the one hand, our gift-giving isn't extravagant; but on the other hand, it's definitely more than what many people do (some of whom are restricted by lack of money, and some of whom decide to limit themselves for the moral reason of it).  Should we make changes in how we approach Christmas?  If so, how will the boys react?  How important is it to consider their feelings, and when is it better for us as parents to simply say "this is how it's going to be," even if they don't like it?

I think what it all comes down to is David.  We have a lot of stuff that Jeff wouldn't mind seeing go out the door.  ;-)  Josiah would be fine with some major clean-out.  Tobin and Shav and Moriah are still young enough that they wouldn't be affected as much by it.  But David?  I just don't know.  I love that boy so much and never want to do anything to hurt his sweet little heart.

Hmmm...what to do...

Well, at the moment, all I can do is go to bed...so I can get some sleep...so I can wake up tomorrow refreshed and energetic...so I can tackle some household tasks and bring some order to disheveled parts of my home...so my mind can be clear again.

And maybe, along the way, I'll find a big pile of STUFF to drop off at the thrift store.  ;-)

7 comments:

Mamajil said...

Our toys and stuff can be categorized into groups...legos, blocks, kintex, rescue heros and cars....for the girls its kitchen sets, dolls, doll house and barbies....oh and dress up we keep them separate in rubber maid totes. I could get rid of the rescue heros but my little grandson will soon enjoy them and so I box them up and put them away (attic, top of a closet etc...) to be pulled out later.... I do rotate our toys in this way often..,and about 2x per year I have the kids purge for those that may have less, my friend has a thrift shop and she helps families get back on their feet after fires and floods so we donate many things to her...and their ministry. I think stuff meaning so much isn't bad so long as its balanced with the importance of sharing not from the broken and not any use toys but from the favorite pile (giving best fruits)....so I have my kids give from their favorites I want them to give out of what means something to them. As for Christmas....its a season of love and generosity and I personally say that so long as you are sharing love and generosity with others and teaching your boys a love of sharing and giving what is wrong with being generous in your gifting to the boys.....isn't God generous with his gifts towards us...of course it is important to teach and model love and generosity and to guard against a greedy and give me give me attitude.... I think by teaching them to serve others you can guard against this easily enough....we try to find a family we can totally bless every year either with baked goods groceries or presents....it is exciting to see how my kids get so much enjoyment out of giving and then they are rewarded in return because you get what you give...give love and get love....as for the de cluttering we have to do it quarterly....or simple stuff over takes us...LOL...I've written an essay...well this is my perspective as the mom to ten....rotate toys, give from your favorites, teach them to serve..... Hugs!!!

Sara @ Embracing Destiny said...

I've been pondering these same things, Davene! I have the urge to purge, but the task can be overwhelming in more ways than one. One of my daughters definitely has "gifts" as a love language, too. I keep going back to the FlyLady's ideas about if it causes you stress and interferes with the enjoyment of things that are important to you, then you need to get rid of it. Easier said than done!

Miriam said...

Having just watched/read the lesson on the 5 Love Languages for our Growing Kids God's Way class (by the Ezzos, the writers of Babywise), I have a fresh gasp on what you're talking about with David.

I also know what you're talking about with STUFF! Oh me, oh my! If I did not have the promise of soon being able to live in 3x the space we have been for the last 8 years, I think I would have to become one of those who gets rid of EVERYTHING not currently being used and just borrow/thrift shop for needed items when they become a need again. Whew, I feel like I/we have SO much STUFF, but then I wonder if it's a (lack of) space issue or a stuff issue. Probably both. :) Anyway, I hope you're able to find a really great solution to your dilemma.

Unknown said...

I am still thinking about that post. We have so much to play with and JDaniel prefers to play with junk.

Margie said...

You stole the title of a post I've been mulling over for about 2 years now. Yes, Stuff: always around us. It's a balancing act to both supply it and yet teach that it's not what life is about, but I'm blessed to have 2 girls who clearly don't have gifts as their love languages. But the accumulation of it is a constant challenge, especially in a small house. My challenge is getting rid of it, and yet they act so emotionally attached to whenever I try to clear it out. At the moment, I'm simply giving it time, in the hopes that they won't want to take the Little People to college one day. Even though right now they actively claim they will!

Anonymous said...

I get very overwhelmed by clutter and stuff. My thoughts are "simplify". Sebastian however notices if I eliminate an item and is relunctant to get rid of anything. Our saving grace recently has been Ebay! As I've convinced him to sell some of his out grown items, he gets excited about the funds coming in to buy something else he is currently interested in. It has made him ease up and let go and gradually, we have less in his room. He's learning about resale value, etc also.

Davene Grace said...

Thanks, friends, for understanding and for sharing ideas of how you deal with this issue! It's nice to know I'm not the only one trying to figure this one out. ;-)