Friday, June 10, 2011

Why Do I Love Strawberry Freezer Jam So Much?

It could be because it's so fantastically easy to make.  That suits my cooking style, since I'm the kind of cook who is drawn to recipes labeled "quick" and "easy."

But the real reason I love it so much?  It's because you can pull a jar out of the freezer in the middle of the winter, let it thaw, take off the lid, grab a spoon (works better than a knife because you get more with a spoon!) to spread some on a piece of bread, then close your eyes and take a bite.  Presto!  It tastes like summer in your mouth.

I love how well freezer jam preserves the real, fresh taste of real, fresh strawberries.  Can you do that, canned jam?

I didn't think so.  ;-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its true. Freezer jam is the best! The fruit tastes so nice and fresh. Yum now I want some. Guess I will have to make some soon.

Sarah-Anne said...

ah, the memories. ;)

Stacey said...

Ah, my most favorite jam ever! I think it is so good because you use so much less sugar than you would with traditional canning. The ratio of fresh fruit to sugar is just better this way. Plus the fresh flavor of fruit is amazing. My daughter made her first freezer jam when she was nine.

Last year, I had about 5 million green tomatoes,that I had to harvest before the first freeze. I made jam with those tomatoes and jello I had never done this before but it worked out so well I want to see if I can make a freezer jam version this year. not sure it will work. I think I read somewhere that green tomatoes must be cooked, but maybe I can cook them and then cool them to make freezer jam?