Monday, June 27, 2011

No. 9 on the List

Remember my list of summer goals?  I'm happy to report that we're making good progress as we work our way through the list.  And, of course, we've revised things slightly:  fencing lessons is off, basketball is on, etc. No matter how grand one's intentions are, reality often demands change along the way!

One relatively simple item on the list was to eat supper outside.  So, when last Saturday evening rolled around and the temperatures were cool enough to be pleasant, I decided that it was a good night for that, and we ended up eating alfresco.

Table for two?  Yes, please!
And a table for six?  Yep, we'll need one of those, too.
We dined on Chicken Korma (actually, I sort of combined my recipe for Cashew Chicken with the one for Chicken Korma, so it ended up being Cashew Chicken Korma) :) over rice, Caprese Salad, fresh cantaloupe that my parents brought up with them, and chips and salsa for Jeff (since his motto is "Don't eat dinner without it!").  It was delicious.
It was also:
~ a lot of work to carry everything out to the picnic tables from the kitchen,
~ an equal amount of work to carry everything back in when supper was over,
~ extremely distracting to Shav who, although happy as a clam, could hardly bring himself to eat anything; I think he had one bite of cantaloupe (later, before bedtime, he gestured to be put up in his highchair, so I obliged and then gave him some honey nut cheerios to munch on, because I knew his stomach was empty!),
~ almost as distracting to Tobin who lollygagged around so much with his dinner that it took forever for him to finish (and he required some assistance from his sympathetic and helpful grandma before he could get all his food down his throat),
~ a huge nuisance to be constantly shooing flies away from the food.

However, despite all the hardships, at least once a summer, we just have to eat supper outside!  I'm thinking that both Jeff and I--and my parents--are glad that we can cross that one off our list for this year.  ;-)

6 comments:

JFisher777 said...

wow... on the table number 6 photo... we all look a bit off guard for a photo!

Davene Grace said...

Let's just call it an action shot! ;-)

Unknown said...

It looks like it was worth all the work.

Misty said...

We have been eating outside as much as we can lately! A treat we aren't used to being able to do. The clean dining room floor is definitely worth the work of carrying everything out for me!

Stacey said...

Oh I love eating outside for dinner. Our deck is on the east side right out the kitchen door. So it is in the shade at dinner time. I learned a long time ago to use trays to transport everything out to the table alot can fit on a tray or a large cookie sheet. I always look at the thrift store for large trays to use specifically for this reason. We have humming birds that entertain and delight us during dinner. If it is too hot outside I won't do it as my husband is working outside during the day and needs a break. But this is one of the things I long for during the winter.

The more you eat outdoors the less your kids will be distracted as well. and you can get citronella torches or candles to help keep the flies away.
also please post your recipe for chicken korma please please please?

Sally said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks eating outside is a lot of work! We generally only do it for light lunches, like sandwiches, pretzels, and apple slices. And we just sit on the back porch, hanging our legs over the sides, and eat. It can still be a lot of work, getting everything carted out there and then back inside. And I do use large cookie sheets to reduce the no. of trips back and forth. Well, at least TRY to reduce them.