Saturday, June 25, 2011

Only 3 Pints

I love peas.  I love eating them, of course; but I also LOVE shelling them.  In fact, that quite possibly ranks as my very favorite garden job.

Sadly, since we moved back from Israel five and a half years ago, we have never succeeded in having a good pea crop.  I'm not exactly sure why:  maybe there was something wrong with our soil, maybe our pea seeds were too old, maybe we planted too late, maybe we weeded too little!  But every year, I have wished for a better harvest.

This year has been our best so far, thanks in large part to Jeff's hard work in the garden.  We actually had enough peas to eat a mess (Southern for "a batch," in case that's confusing!) for several meals; and wonder of wonders, we even had enough to freeze!
True, it's only three pints; but it's a start!  Next year--Lord willing--I'm going to follow the advice of sisters Miriam,  Sally, and Gail (I'm sure their other sisters could also give helpful advice about peas, but I haven't spoken with any of them about the matter)  :)  and hopefully improve from three pints to...well...who knows?!

The sky's the limit.  ;-)

4 comments:

Sarah-Anne said...

YUM! :D

Unknown said...

My husband would love these.

Sally said...

Fresh peas are so very, very delicious. I'm not sure if I'll be planting any next year. I might just plant corn instead, since I have to be choosy what goes into my garden due to it's small size. I hope your yield keeps increasing!

And thanks for shelling one of my pickings! That was SO helpful!

Mike and Katie said...

Have you every heard of the Joy of Gardening by Dick Raymond? He used to have a TV show. He explains how using wide rows significantly improves planting success. He use a kind of dwarf pea and let them climb each other in a large 10X10 (or something) block. Then come harvest time, he just sets a stool in the patch and harvests all around him. It's amazing!

Google the book. We're going to try in next year. This year was pathetic.