Thursday, June 9, 2011

My Parents Are Not Ones to Toot Their Own Horn

Well, most of the time, that is.  My dad has been known to occasionally sound his own trumpet, like he did for my boys this afternoon.  :)



But most of the time, my parents don't go around announcing their accomplishments and bragging about themselves.  So...

I'll do it for them.  :)

Forty-eight years ago today, my parents stood up in front of a crowd of happy family and friends in a little country church just across the Pennsylvania line in Maryland.  My mom wore white, a dress she had made herself.  My dad had a flat top.  His father performed the ceremony.  They decorated the church with peonies, the descendants of which I transplanted last week into the new flowerbed in front of my parents' house (yes, they're peonies from the same bushes as their wedding ones).  The reception was held at my maternal grandparents' house; and folks sat around the yard in chairs and ate cake and sipped punch while my parents opened the wedding gifts, piled up on an overflowing table.  My great-aunts wore hats.  Everyone wore a smile.  (Photographic proof here.)

On that day, they promised themselves to each other; and although I don't know the exact words of their vows, I'm certain that a commitment to love and care for each other, be faithful and true until death was included.  For forty-eight years, they've done just that.

Congratulations, dearest Mother and Dad, for your outstanding accomplishment!  Thank you for holding the standard of marriage wondrously high for me and for so many others who know you.  All of us in the Fisher household love you dearly!  :)
~ my parents on their 48th anniversary, right after I barged into their house and told them I was going to take their picture...I didn't even let Mother run a comb through her hair...doesn't she look beautiful anyway?  :)...they're sitting on their anniversary rock...Dad will have to correct me on the details, but I think quite a few years ago, they went somewhere--like Polyface to get some beef or something like that--and while there, Mother saw some rocks that she liked and she asked the owner if they could have one...he said yes, Dad paid for it (not a whole lot either--Mother is a cheap date!), they loaded it into their pickup and brought it home to put it in a flowerbed by our garden shed...for years, Mother was able to look out the kitchen window and see it and remember my dad's great (big!) love for her :)...but now that they're living in their "new" home, it was time to move it down the hill...our next-door neighbor brought his tractor over recently and took care of it for us...some men, for their anniversary, give their wives a little tiny sparkly "rock" to wear on their finger...my dad puts them all to shame by the size of the rock he gave his bride!!  ;-)  

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful legacy of love they have to share with their children.

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Beautifully written, as always. I love your parents through your writing. Your children are so blessed to have them close by.
And I love that even when he was 'blowing his own trumpet', he was actually boasting of God's goodness :)

Miriam said...

Your parents are such a cute couple :) Congratulations to them on their anniversary!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Uncle Harold and Aunt Barbara!!!! we send lots of love your way!!! :)

Sarah-Anne said...

congrats to your parents, that is such a great milestone!!