Friday, June 24, 2016

One Happy Cowboy

An event occurred today that Tobin's been looking forward to for at least the past decade (oh, wait, scratch that...he's only eight): his first official riding lesson!!  :)

From a very young age, Tobin demonstrated a real love for animals; and horses have been a special interest of his for quite a long time.  As we thought about riding lessons, it wasn't an "if" but a "when," and today was the day.  :)

While he learned how to care for and saddle the pony he would be riding, Shav and Moriah watched from a little ways away.  This was Tobin's big event, and I didn't want his younger siblings intruding too much into his thing.  :)
Lisa, his riding instructor, is a friend of some friends of ours...
...and she has a wonderful, kind, gentle, patient spirit.
She also has gorgeous golden retrievers, like this one named Mabel. Hanging out with Mabel was good entertainment for my non-riders.  :)


It was pretty hot today; and while Tobin rode, the younger kids and I hung out mostly in the shade, munching on apples and chips and drinking water from the thermos I had taken along.
Tobin didn't complain a bit to me later about the heat, however; he was loving what he was doing.  :)






Moriah was being a little silly.  Hard to believe, I know.  ;-)
And Shav was keeping Benjamin entertained by playing peek-a-boo with him.  :)








Way back in the spring of 2007, I had decided that there was enough extra time in our schedule for some "me time," and I started taking riding lessons at a horse farm not too far from our house.  I enjoyed them a lot but stopped abruptly.  My reason?  I got pregnant.  Pregnant with Tobin.  Do you think the motion he felt during my riding lessons when he was in my womb but I didn't even know it yet is what caused him to love horses so much??  ;-)  Whatever the reason, I find it interesting that my desire to learn to ride got passed down to him (and not really to any of my other children, none of whom have expressed much desire to ride--except for the occasional passing interest, like Moriah today who asked if she could have lessons when she's five).  :)

Tobin told me after his lesson that Lisa asked him what he wanted to learn, as far as riding goes; and he said, "I want to be a cowboy!"  Tonight he is one small step closer to his goal, and he's already counting down the days until his next lesson.

It brings me such joy to watch my children pursue their interests and the dreams God has planted in their hearts!

1 comment:

sally said...

This was wonderful to read! You do a great job of making sure each of your children gets to live his individual life.