Tuesday, May 5, 2015

When Little Fish(ers) Speak...

I used to be more faithful at recording little bits and pieces of my children's conversations that made me smile or somehow touched my heart in a special way, but I've gotten out of the habit of jotting those things down.  About a month ago, I decided that it would be worthwhile to get back into the habit of that, so I started paying a little more attention to what my kids said and made a little more effort to write those things down.  I'm not saying this is the start of a new series of blog posts (series make me nervous because they seem SO HARD to keep up with), but maybe I'll do better at remembering to record these little blurbs for posterity!

Tobin, 4/2/15 - We were looking at a picture of ancient coins (see below), and Tobin blurted out, "Those are weird-looking nickels!"  Well, yes, they would be indeed...if they were nickels.  But since the nickel coin wasn't invented until 1866 and these particular coins date from roughly 2,200 years before that, I don't think we can exactly lump them together.  ;-)


Moriah, 4/3/15 - While riding in the van, Shav had referred to Moriah as a baby, and Tobin had corrected him by saying she was really a toddler.  Her response?  "No, I'm a MORIAH!"  That you are, my dear, and there's no one else like you!  :)

Moriah, 4/4/15 - Moriah has heard Josiah and David call shotgun numerous times as we're getting ready to go somewhere (which puzzles me somewhat, because I don't remember calling shotgun ever being a big deal for me as a kid, but it sure is for them!).  On this day, as we were heading out the door, she called out, "I ride in the shotgun!"  Which is not quite the same as calling shotgun, but in either case, the sweet girl wasn't allowed to ride in the front seat nor ride inside a gun.  ;-)

Tobin, 4/9/15 - The kids had emptied all the laundry out of the laundry chute and were digging through it; when Tobin reached the floor under the pile, he said, "I've hit bedrock!"  I knew excavating under the laundry pile was a pretty huge endeavor, but I didn't quite realize until then what a massive undertaking it really was!  ;-)

Tobin, 4/9/15 - Because it was Moriah's birthday, I had given each of the kids three M&M's as a special treat after lunch.  They were discussing the colors they had been given; and Josiah said, "Yellow and red make orange!"  Five or so seconds later, Tobin said, in all earnestness, "And red and yellow make orange!"  He's brilliant, he is.  ;-)

Tobin, 4/17/15 - It was David's birthday; and as we sat around the table eating ice cream from Kline's, our favorite local ice cream shop, we were discussing Josiah's upcoming birthday.  "He's going to be a teeny!" Tobin exclaimed.  Uh, do you mean a teenager?  ;-)

And then there are the ones that move my heart...

Sometime back in March, Shav said this about his sister: "Moriah's probably the cutest -- that I've ever seen -- two-year-old in the whole world!"  I'm inclined to agree with him.  :)

Shav, 4/24/15 - One evening at bedtime, I was spending a little extra time chatting with Tobin and Shav, and it was one of those their-hearts-are-soft-so-don't-waste-this-opportunity times.  At one point in the conversation, Shav asked in a forlorn voice, "What if I get lost in heaven?"  At first, I wasn't sure what direction to go in my response: maybe I should mention that I would likely die first and be there to greet him when he arrived, or maybe I should point out that in heaven we will know fully so there wouldn't be any chance of getting lost, or maybe something else.  But I finally decided to simply point out that Jesus would be there to welcome him and take care of him.  Surprisingly to me, Shav wasn't tremendously comforted by that; after all, Shav has never seen Jesus and seemed afraid that he wouldn't recognize Him.  But then Tobin insightfully reminded Shav that Uncle Jay will be there, and that--more than anything else--brought sweet comfort to Shav's anxious heart.  :)

Finally, to end, here's one that my kids have taken great delight in reminding me of during the past few days because I guess it's fun to see that Mom makes mistakes, too.   ;-)

Moriah, 5/2/15 - It was a Saturday with a number of errands to run, which means lots of in-and-out of the van.  The day was going along pretty smoothly, and we were taking David to gymnastics (and had been traveling during that particular trip for maybe 7 or 8 minutes) when Moriah piped up, in a concerned tone of voice, from her seat directly behind me, "Mommy, I'm not buckled!"  REALLY?  I thought for sure I had buckled her, but I guess I had buckled her so many times already that day that it seemed like I had done it for that trip when, in fact, I had not!  (And it wasn't because Moriah had unbuckled herself because the buckle in that particular car seat is HARD to do.)  I felt terrible, of course, but couldn't do anything about it at that point while I was driving; but we happened to be stopping at a stoplight, so I asked David to unbuckle really quickly and scoot back to sit beside Moriah and buckle her before returning to his seat.  He did so, and we went on our way.  A couple of minutes later, Moriah called in a voice that expressed even more concern than her original comment, "Mommy, my Craisins are buckled!!"  :)  Sure enough, in his haste to buckle her, David had put the straps right over top of the paper towel that was holding her snack of Craisins in her lap.  She couldn't get them out, and I wasn't willing to take the risk of having David unbuckle again, just to help her rescue her Craisins, so they rode snugly between her and the seatbelt, all the way to gymnastics.  But hey, at least the Craisins were safe!!  ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha! I was informed at least once for each boy, when they were just big enough to communicate, that I had forgotten to buckle them! Scared me to think of the possibilities had they not told, or been unable to say! Gail