Saturday, November 9, 2013

What I Want to Remember about This Recital

Josiah and David played in a violin recital last evening.

Since they've been taking violin for a few years, the newness of it all has worn off; and the thought of playing in a recital--although exciting!--isn't the earth-shattering event that it was when they first began.  However, each recital is unique; and I don't want to let this one slip away without me making a note of some things that stood out to me.

~ It was short and sweet.  Only nine students played in it, and it only lasted about half an hour.  Some recitals are much longer than that, and that's nice, too.  But this time around, I enjoyed this shorter, more intimate recital.

~ I had the pleasure of accompanying all the students.  :)

~ David was the first one who played, and he did very well with "Hunters' Chorus."  He has come a long way in the past 6 months, and I'm thrilled with how he's doing (and mostly, with how much he's enjoying it!).
~ Josiah played "Humoresque"; and although he would tell you that he made a few mistakes (mixed up the endings of sections), I would tell you how he played with the most passion and musicality that I've ever seen come from him.  The middle section in particular was dramatic and strong, and I got goose bumps as I realized, "Wow, he's a real musician."
~ Josiah and David happened to be the only two boys who played in this recital.

~ The last piece was "Gavotte" by Rameau, which is definitely at or near the top of my Favorites List in the Suzuki repertoire.  I was really glad that Evelina played it and that I got to accompany her on it!  :)

~ I managed to walk out of the house without either my regular camera or my little camera that does videos as well as still pictures.  I knew, of course, that I wouldn't be able to take pictures during the recital, but I thought before or after I'd get some of the boys.  When I realized my mistake, I shrugged and thought, "Oh, well.  At least Jeff will have his phone and can take pictures with that."  And you know what?  He did.  Without me even asking.  :)

~ It was a very special treat to have Grandma Fisher here for this recital.  She had heard the boys play in a big group concert before, but never in a solo recital.

~ At the small reception afterwards, we happened to sit near the family of Kyrie (I LOVE that name, by the way!), one of the violinists who had performed.  Our paths have crossed some with Kyrie and her mom, but not really with her dad.  But last evening, he started talking to Shav who was in an unusually talkative mood.  It's not at all uncommon for David, or even Tobin, to enter into conversation with "strangers" like that, but Shav is usually quieter and more reserved.  Last night however, he was the star of the show.  It was clear that the adults were all getting a kick out of him, as he told Kyrie's dad that when he grows up he wants to be a fireman or a cowboy or a secret agent...and he told him about his little sister...and he told him what Jeff does for a living...and he told him that secret agents hide from people, etc.  It was really fun to watch Shav, who usually remains in the shadow of his older brothers, shine in that way.  :)

~ I'll also remember that at the reception, the drink was a mixture of iced tea and lemonade, so, because it was a special night, I told the boys they could have some, which they were delighted with (well, I'm not sure if Josiah had any, but David, Tobin, and Shav all did...and liked it so much they would have had more, if I had let them!).  When we got home, Tobin and Shav in particular were bouncing off the walls, and getting ready for bed was a long, laughing process.  I'm thinking we might not let them have any more caffeine any time soon!!  :)

At least, let's wait until the next violin recital.  ;-)

No comments: