Friday, November 8, 2013

Better Than I Imagined

Yesterday's post deserves a follow-up, so here is what I wrote on Facebook this morning, soon after we returned from Moriah's appointment...  :)

Ever have an experience that you expect to be difficult in every way, but in the end it turns out better, quicker, and easier than you thought possible? Well, that's what happened to me today. Our appointment at the Health Department for Moriah's first-ever immunizations went so smoothly today; I could hardly believe it!  First, I actually found a parking spot in their tiny parking lot for the Big White Van and didn't have to park far away and walk. Second, we didn't have to wait very long at all; her appointment was for 9:45, and I don't think it was any later than 10:15 when we were walking out the door. Third, the nurse accepted, without any protest AT ALL, my request that Moriah only receive a certain few vaccinations today. I was honestly geared up for a battle (of words!) about it; I was ready to "go Israeli!"  But my mental preparation was completely unnecessary because the nurse didn't push back against my wishes at all, for which I was very grateful. Fourth, Jeff was able to leave work and be with me the whole time. Fifth, it's been nearly an hour since Moriah received her shots, and so far she hasn't sprouted a third arm or anything like that.  In essence, all the things I worried about turned out to not be areas of concern at all!  Moriah first got the combination shot for DTaP/HepB/IPV; and she looked shocked when she felt the needle prick, but didn't cry. But then she got the shot for Hib, and she did cry. For kind of a while. And even after she stopped, she still did the shudder/gasp/whimper thing for even longer--poor little sweetheart. But she was quiet on the way home, then played contentedly with the checkers Tobin and Shav were playing with after we got home. Now she's tucked in bed for her nap, and I'm taking a moment to thank God for making this morning go much better than I imagined it might! 



I'll just add one thing before signing off for tonight: these band-aids Moriah got might just be the coolest band-aids I've ever seen.  :)

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Glad it went so well.x
Cute band-aids, however the cutest thing has to be her little shoes and frilly socks, I just love them.xx

Anonymous said...

I"m glad the nurse didn't give you any grief. I actually had a doctor say, "Parents don't have the right to make those kinds of decisions for their children." Um, yes, they do. For now...

That's when we started making the half hour drive to see the doctor we knew would respect our wishes.

Katie

Emily said...

Aww glad it went well! I wasn't immunized until I was about to go into highschool. My sister was born in Israel in the 80's - my poor my didn't have much choice about getting her immunized. I don't know what I will do with my kids. There is so much conflicting research. I'm just thankful that I don't have to make those decisions yet! Hopefully by the time I have kids there will be more conclusive research one way or the other!