Thursday, February 7, 2013

Working on #3

Back in this post, I shared 7 goals for the new year; and #3 was to get my weight down to 139 pounds.

I'm not there yet.

I'm not even close.

This post from the middle of December gives more details about my weight-loss journey, and on that day I weighed 154.8 pounds (down from the 172.4 that I weighed on May 20 when I started getting serious about losing the pregnancy weight I'd gained with Moriah).  So what's been going on since then?

On January 1, I was 153.6; however, for the rest of January, my weight was actually higher--bouncing around in the 154 - 155 range.  I felt a little discouraged about it, knowing that I wasn't showing great self-control in what I was eating (but continuing to eat too much anyway) and also realizing that spending most of my time indoors in the cold of winter was not helping in the exercise department.  In the warmer months, at least I can go out and jump on the trampoline from time to time to help burn some calories, but January isn't usually conducive to that (although we did have a little warm spell in the middle of the month, and the boys took advantage of that time to jump on it).  :)

January did have one bright spot, exercise-wise, in it however:  this.  :)
I had mentioned to Jeff that it might be nice to have a treadmill, so could he please keep his eyes out for one on Craigslist?  :)  All the treadmills that I had seen online had been surprisingly (to me) expensive, but I know that Jeff is a better online-searcher than I am, and I had a feeling that he would unearth something better than what I could find.  :)  He did.  

It's called a Cardio-Glide, and I think Jeff ended up paying around $25 or so for it--a price I was quite happy with.  It does more than a treadmill does, especially in the areas of shoulders, arms, etc.; and the way it combines strength training with a cardiovascular workout is great (especially for someone like me who is completely lazy when it comes to fitness).  :)  I like it a lot.

So do the boys.  :)
Josiah uses it quite a bit and usually puts it on 9, the hardest setting.  I, on the other hand, have managed to work my way all the way up from 1, the easiest, to...wait for it...2.  Go me!.  ;-)
Josiah was willing to stop his exercising and pose for me as I took these first two pictures, which is a very good thing because usually when he's on it, he looks sort of like this...  :)
David and Tobin like to climb around on the thing and hang from the handles and sit on it backwards and use it in all kinds of different ways.  It's especially useful for giving David something for his active body to do while I'm reading to them while we do school.  :)

I'm striving to become more consistent with exercising on it every single day, but I'm not perfect in this.  Regardless, my weight this morning was down to 152.4; and I'm sure the exercise is helping.  Although of course I'd love to be making faster progress toward my goal, I'm just grateful to be doing something to move in the right direction!

When Jeff first found it on Craigslist and sent me an email about it, he included this video.  Sometimes when I'm exercising on it, I imagine myself in this situation.  :)



It's great motivation, to be sure!!  :)

7 comments:

mamajil said...

I am still giggling about the advertisement I am all too familiar with the need to exercise and the lack of enjoyment it brings...my girls have been doing some sort of Power exercise video on you tube and I am always proud to get through the warm ups with them....(kinda like going from 1 to 2) LOL :) Don't give up!!! :)

Elizabeth said...

Go Davene go! Proud of you for your bravery in posting this and keeping yourself accountable. That's the hardest part! Loved the video!

Sally said...

I don't know how in the world you could weigh 152! When I saw you yesterday, you didn't look it at all, more like 142 or less. Anyway, congratulations on starting, and on your progress. I had decided to get serious about exercising, for the blood sugar benefits, but so far I've exercised one time. You are doing it!

Unknown said...

I need to get moving too.

Aunt Helen said...


Hi Davene -

Look forward to using it whenver I come in next. Looks fun.

Aunt Helen

Misty said...

Way to go! Just doing it is always the hardest part!! Having someone to workout with is really helpful. My friend Hannah and I do workout videos (Insanity, 30 day shred, power 90) every weekday at 6am. You could come join us! ;) It is so much easier to get up and do it when you know that if you don't do it you will have to admit it to the other person and let them down! Also, when it is warmer we are still running in the evenings at the track at the elementary school. You are always welcome to join us doing that too! It is so hard to stay motivated but it really helps to have someone do it with you!

Pam said...

I like your machine. It looks great... we've had the same subject talked about in our house. My husband and I are both working on loosing weight and feeling better. Exercise has been a little difficult around here, because of Steve's surgeries this last year and a half, and my struggling with low back (although I don't mean that as an excuse... only a wearing frustration that challenges us). So you are inspiring me. I have lost a couple of pounds, but have quite aways to go. I'm partial to the trampoline too.. isn't that funny, but like you, the weather doesn't make that an easy thing to do this time of year.

I love you blog heading... so pretty. Your pictures are great. Thanks for your comment on my post. We are so excited to see our new little granddaughter.