Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Reason for the Mess

When I get discouraged by the mess in Josiah and David's room...
...(of which this picture only shows a fraction--there's really no way I could adequately portray the messiness of that room in one or two pictures!)...
...I try to pause to remember the reason for the mess.  The mess is there because the room is shared by two smart, creative, energetic, active, loving and loved young boys.  They're reading books, they're playing games, they're building with LEGOs; the very mess that sometimes drives me a little nuts is actually evidence of the wholesomeness and beauty of their childhood.

It all reminds me of a verse in Proverbs that says, "Without oxen a stable stays clean, but you need a strong ox for a large harvest" (14:4).

So, here's to accepting a "dirty stable" while giving thanks for my "strong oxen" and the "large harvest" that is coming in their lives!  :)

(But I'm still going to strive to train them in how to keep a tidy room!)   ;-)

2 comments:

mamajil said...

After walking into my two boys room and walking back out because of the lego, block disaster along with the remains of what looks like a blanket tent, and what looks like a stack of laundry that was strategically placed at the foot of the bed so it can not be seen from the door...your post was just what I needed....I think I will write out that verse in Proverbs and tape it to the door of their room ;)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Davene, for being so good a mom as to encourage others to be good moms. That's what is lacking in our country today, the solidness of the fabric of a life built on the Lord. May God ever bless you and yours, from a mom who is now a grandmom,(Mimi). You give me hope for this nation,may there be ever so many more like you.How I am thankful for my own( four daughters) little family, they are good moms too. Mimi