Sunday, December 30, 2012

Why I Love Snow at Christmas

We've been blessed (BLESSED!) by three (THREE!) snowfalls this past week of Christmas: the first came the day before Christmas, the second blew in the day after Christmas (and sadly, cancelled the plans of my brother and his family to come down from Pennsylvania for a Christmas celebration together), and the third was yesterday morning.  It's almost unheard of, despite the wishes of many in these parts for a white Christmas, for us to get so many snow days like this; and we relished each flake that fell.

But I got to thinking...  Why do I love snow at Christmas so much?  Granted, I truly love snow anytime it falls, not just at Christmas; but still, there's something extra special about the 25th of December being cloaked in white.  I've decided that...

It's not just because it's beautiful.
It's not just because it helps to turn Christmas into something out of a Currier & Ives scene.
It's not just because Irving Berlin gave us the song "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" and something within us wants to croon along, every time we hear it.
It's not just because Christmas vacation gives us more time for play, and what better way to play in the winter than being outside playing in the snow?

For me, there's a deeper reason.

Two years ago, when we woke up on Christmas morning to discover, to our great joy, that it was snowing, the thought entered my head, "Only God could have given us this gift."  And then I realized, to my even greater joy, that that perfectly describes Christmas.

The snow that falls at Christmastime--a gift only God could give--leads my mind straight to that other gift only God could give, His precious son Jesus.  And that's why I love snow at Christmas so very much!

Because it points to Him!!  :)

*******

Most of the time when I went out to play in the snow this past week, I left my camera safely inside.  It stayed nice and dry, and I could focus on having fun with the boys and savoring each moment.  But on Christmas Eve, during the first snow we had, I did take it out for a little while to snap a few pictures.  :)

Looking out from the garage before venturing out...the kids from next door came over to play, which always adds to the joy...

Yes, we eat snow.  No, it hasn't killed us yet.  :)



David, with a little help from others, made a snowman whom he named Henry.
 Henry got to wear our neighbor Marlene's glasses.
 They look good on him.  :)

 Because our neighbors are Old Order Mennonite, they don't have cameras or pictures, so I usually show great restraint and don't take pictures of them, even though I would love to.  :)  But Wanita, who is about 9 or 10 years old now, was so fascinated by my camera that she kept asking me to take pictures and then she wanted to see them on the back of the camera.  ;-)
 This is a snow angel that Wanita made on the driveway; at her request, I photographed it, then let her see it. :)
 Josiah's snow angel on grass...this was still early enough that the ground was not quite all covered; but later on, we got enough to cover it.
Our four-legged friends had fun in the snow, too.  :)


It just so happens that, as I type this, Jed is sleeping curled up at my feet, close enough to touch me.  The warmth and happiness he brings to me is immense.  I'm so glad we have him.  :)

And I'm SO GLAD we've had SNOW!!!   :)

4 comments:

Sally said...

I've had more fun in the snow this year than I've had for a long time. I'm glad you got to enjoy it too!

Valerie said...

We had a little bit of snow on Christmas too! Other parts of East Texas had more than we did, but it snowed in East Texas! :) The kids were so excited. Don't spread the word or anything... but I kinda miss snow. Not that I would enjoy a blizzard or anything, but enough to build a snowman would be fun.

JK from Arkansas said...

I enjoy your blog, and I think you are a terrific mom!

Margie said...

Just an FYI: I think I eat more snow than the kids! Nothing tastes quite as good as fresh, powdery snow.