Monday, December 31, 2012

2012: In the Rear View Mirror

With about an hour to go until a new year begins, my looking back continues.  It has been a good year--a VERY good year.  My heart overflows with gratitude.

If I had to choose the three most wonderful happenings this year, it would be first, the birth of Moriah (obviously!), second, our three-generation family vacation to the Outer Banks of North Carolina, and three, getting Jed.  :)  But before and after and in between those events have been SO MANY precious days of ordinary life with these people that I love so very much.

One thing I always like to do at the end of the year is include pictures of all my blog layouts throughout the past 12 months.  And then I sit and try to figure out which one I like best.  I always do this, but I never can decide.  :)











Do you have a favorite?  :)

**********

Another list that I want to include is the books I've read this year.  I could probably write a whole post about each of these books; but for the sake of time, I'll simply list them.  Much of the reading I did in the spring and early summer, by the way, occurred during times of nursing Moriah; and the choice of light fiction was so that I would stay awake.  I simply did not have the alertness or stamina to read something that demanded more brain power at that point in time.  :)

January
1. Five Conversations You Must Have with Your Daughter - Vicki Courtney
2. A Lantern in Her Hand - Bess Streeter Aldrich
3. We Should Do This More Often - Lorilee Craker
4. Giving Away Simone - Jan Waldron
5. Ordinary Faithful People - Robert Hubbard
6. Spring Came On Forever - Bess Streeter Aldrich
7. Journey into Christmas and Other Stories - Bess Streeter Aldrich

February
8. The Lieutenant's Lady - Bess Streeter Aldrich
9. The Edge of Tomorrow - Dr. Tom Dooley
10. Miss Bishop - Bess Streeter Aldrich
11. Pregnant Goddesshood - Mary Ann Halpin (I enjoyed some of the pictures in this book; but quite frankly, a lot of it was a little too strange for me ;)...however, I could identify with this quote from the book, "I understand that pregnancy is not always a wonderful experience for every woman, but for those of us who enjoy being 'with child,' there is no other sensation that will ever come close to the magnificent feeling of pregnancy.")
12. Crazy Love - Francis Chan
13. A White Bird Flying - Bess Streeter Aldrich

March
14. Song of Years - Bess Streeter Aldrich
15. When the Belly Button Pops, the Baby's Done - Lorilee Craker
16. And Thou Philip - David Allison
17. My Jerusalem - Bronwyn Drainie

April
18. Supernatural Childbirth - Jackie Mize
19. Operating Instructions - Anne Lamott
20. A Night to Remember - Walter Lord
21. Love Comes Softly - Janette Oke
22. Love's Enduring Promise - Janette Oke
23. Love's Long Journey - Janette Oke
24. Love's Abiding Joy - Janette Oke
25. Love's Unending Legacy - Janette Oke
26. Love's Unfolding Dream - Janette Oke
27. Love Takes Wing - Janette Oke
28. Love Finds a Home - Janette Oke
29. The Tender Years - Janette Oke

May/June
30. Praying God's Will for My Husband - Lee Roberts
31. Too Long a Stranger - Janette Oke
32. Scientific Facts in the Bible - Ray Comfort
33. I Hear the Reaper's Song - Sara Stambaugh
34. A 3rd Serving of Chicken Soup for the Soul - Canfield & Hansen
35. The Calling of Emily Evans - Janette Oke
36. Home-Spun Schools - Raymond & Dorothy Moore
37. Julia's Last Hope - Janette Oke

July
38. The Hiding Place - Corrie Ten Boom
39. A Gown of Spanish Lace - Janette Oke
40. Corrie ten Boom: Her Life, Her Faith - Carole Carlson
41. A Woman Named Damaris - Janette Oke

August
42. On Becoming Preteen Wise - Ezzo & Bucknam
43. David's Children - Bess Bates

September
44. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

October
45. You Need Never Walk Alone - Alexander Lake

November 
46. Laura Ingalls Wilder Country - William Alexander
47. The 30th Anniversary Reader's Digest Reader
48. Mistaken Identity - Don & Susie Van Ryn and Newell, Colleen & Whitney Cerak
49. Joni - Joni Eareckson

December
50. Laura: The Life of Laura Ingalls Wilder - Donald Zochert

It is entirely possible that I forgot to record some books; in addition, during this fall, I was doing quite a bit of reading aloud to the boys, and I don't count those books in this list.  I also wanted to mention that, despite my goal of reading a book that pertained to each of my family relationships, I did not accomplish that.  I read books that specifically applied to Moriah, to Jeff, and to Josiah; but although I started How to Get Your Child off the Refrigerator and on to Learning with David in mind and Small Beginnings with Tobin and Shav in mind, I finished neither.  That's not to say that my reading in those books was useless, of course.  I've learned that even if only part of a book is read, great value can come from that.

In this post from earlier this month, I mentioned some books that I hope to read in the new year.  I'm sure many more will be added to the list.  I hope so, at least, because I do love to read!  :)

3 comments:

Sally said...

I sit here totally in awe. How do you ever have time to read? I want to read, I'd love to read, but even with only 4 children, I so often feel it a struggle just to get the food, clothes, and schooling done. Maybe I don't love reading as much as you do, and if I did I would make the time for it. I know there aren't 26-hour-days where you live!

Davene Grace said...

Oh, Sally, I know what you mean! Just caring for basic needs can take all our time!

I squeeze in time to read during the afternoons sometimes while I eat my lunch (after the kids are napping/having quiet time)...sometimes at night after they're in bed...and sometimes while nursing Moriah (when she was younger...nowdays she is too curious for me to read while nursing her, because she grabs for the pages). ;-)

I definitely read more this past year than I had in the previous few years...but it still wasn't as much as I would have liked. ;-)

Margie said...

What I can't figure out is how you can read AND write. Usually it's only one or the other for me. So glad, for my sake, you can do it all! (And parent well.)