Monday, January 31, 2011

Month at a {Backwards} Glance

Do I do this every year?

When the end of January rolls around, I think to myself, "Oh my goodness, one-twelfth of the year is gone already!  How can it be?  Didn't we just start this year?"

I've been having that thought a lot today, but I don't think it's an original one.  Yes, I'm pretty sure I think that every single year.  :)

I love January in the same way that I love Mondays.  They're so full of clean slates...unlimited potential...hopes and dreams...energy.  In the course of a week, Tuesdays are often a little harder for me than Mondays; and likewise, February is usually more of a challenge than January (although I'm hopeful that this February will be characterized by cheerfulness and contentment).  Anyway, when this January rolled around, I was happy and excited as I looked to the future, and the month started out great.  

And then...

We all got sick.  We strive to be a generous family, so we passed our germs around to each other and shared the yuckiness, even being so kind as to give it to my parents as well.  Generosity has its limits.  :)  

I've never had a flu shot, and I've often wondered why people (people who are generally healthy and not at any particular risk) would get one.  After all, how bad could the flu be anyway?  Let's just say that now I understand why someone might get a flu shot!  Fortunately, it wasn't the stomach flu with lots of vomit to clean up; but the fevers and aches and chills and cough and fatigue, etc. were exhausting, draining, painful, and lingering.  I'm used to getting a little bug, feeling poorly for a few days, then basically being back to normal.  But not with this particular sickness.  It felt like it would hang on forever.  So my high hopes for January were lowered when I realized that a few weeks of the month were basically erased because of illness.

And then...

We got better!  And life glided on, with mostly smooth sailing.

We homeschooled.  (One of the many advantages of homeschooling is that you can still do it--at least, some of it--when the family is sick, so there's not a big pile of work that needs to be made up when the students recover.)
Jeff took the three big boys individually out for breakfast, each on their own Wednesday morning.
We moved more of my parents' stuff into their "new" house.
We (the four of us who were feeling up to it) went to a potluck at the Sacras.
Tobin had a birthday.
Violin lessons began again for Josiah, as did choir.
I went out for dinner with Julie, Misty, and Lindsey; girls' night out is always fun.
I started this new blog.
Snow fell, and we played in it.
I made good progress in cleaning off the porch (a catch-all spot for a huge assortment of mostly junk with a few important things thrown in).
Misty and her husband Chris had us over for dinner in their new home.
We traveled long distances for church services and continued to ponder where God is leading us.
We went to the library, we fed our animals, we got warm by our woodstove, we gathered around our table for nourishment and companionship.

One thing that we didn't do much of this month was extending hospitality to others; it was actually the "quietest" month in that regard that we've had for quite a long time.  Sickness will do that.  I've learned, in fact, that when sickness settles over our household, it's also possible to invite peace to descend with it:  peace that comes from canceling (albeit reluctantly) previously-scheduled obligations, peace that comes from clearing the calendar and relishing the white space on it where ink usually is, peace that comes from remembering that God knows exactly what is going on in the little bodies of the sons we love so dearly and He holds each of them--and us--tenderly in the palm of His hand.

And the peace that comes from extra naps and extra snuggles and extra love being doled out along with the cough medicine?
That's awfully nice, too.  :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ughh this January has been tough! Boo on being sick! The Sacra's do they have a daughter named Kate? Love girls nights!

Davene Grace said...

They do! She's their oldest, and she used to be our regular babysitter...until she got too busy for us. Boo hoo. ;)

Do you know her?

Actually, it suddenly dawned on me HOW you know her. Now I get it. :)

bekahcubed said...

I hear you on the flu shot. I'd never thought of getting one until the year my whole dorm got influenza. It was miserable. I swore "never again".

('Course, working in healthcare means I'm exposed to it every year, and I'm working with people for whom catching the flu might be potentially life-threatening. Which means that most of the time my employer is willing to pay for the shot. In that case, I'm more than willing to let them give me one!)

Sally said...

I'm sorry you all were sick. I do know that nice feeling of clearing the calendar due to illness. I always wonder why I don't do that sometime when we are all well and can really enjoy the time at home. I might try it some time.

Speaking of God knowing and loving your little children, the song "Jesus Loves the Little Children" means so very much more to me now. Each time I wonder about our children, wonder if some tragedy will take their lives before they reach adulthood, or even before they can fully comprehend God's salvation, I find solace in the fact that Jesus loved children. Everywhere in the Bible (with the exclusion of Esau, and I don't really understand that) that talks about God and children, His Word just pours forth love for little children. So, I know that no matter what, Jesus loves our children. Other things I may not know, but that is a powerful bit of knowledge for me.

Elizabeth said...

I am so sorry you all have been sick. Your generous spirit is so sweet even when it is shared through germs :)
I am glad that you all seem better.

I loved hearing a recap of the months events. And the last picture with Jeff and Tobin (I believe its Tobin) sleeping is soooo sweet!

Margie said...

Years ago when I still lived in Houston, a friend said, "I got the flu twice in two years and swore I'd never go without a flu shot again." Since then, I've gotten one every year but two (and was terribly paranoid the two I didn't have it). The flu has definitely made its rounds in families here - days of fevers and illness. The girls haven't been immunized, and I continue to exhort them about "Purell! Purell!"

I want to do better about extending hospitality, and you've inspired me. It's part of 2011 good intentions (that I hope to make good practices).

Your pictures are, as always, touching and breathtaking.