Thursday, January 27, 2011

Blogging Is Dangerous

Here is just one of the reasons why blogging is dangerous.

Someone could look at this picture of David...

...and think, "Wow, look at that!  David is only five years old, and already he's smart enough to know how to play chess and mature enough to sit still to do it.  Davene really does a good job of instilling self-discipline in her kids!"

You could think that, but you might be wrong.  David is definitely smart and wonderful and cute and lovable and a whole host of positive attributes, but let me show you another picture--this one of a book on my to-read list--that perhaps gives a more rounded view of him these days.
OK, to set the record straight, it's not that I've actually found him on the refrigerator--yet.  It's just that, boy, oh boy, that boy has energy!  He is a wiggly, squirmy, jumping bean, who loves to invade people's personal space and can hardly stand to not be in motion.  What do you do with a boy like that?

Well, in warm weather, you turn him out of doors and let him run off some steam in the yard.  But in this cold late January bleakness, that's not so appealing.  (Fortunately, yesterday we were blessed with a wonderful snowfall, and the boys got to spend hours of fun playing in it.)  Getting him to sit still--whether it be to listen to me reading books for school or to sit with the family and eat supper or any other sedentary activity--is often a challenge; and finding the balance of God-made-him-to-be-an-energetic-boy versus David-needs-to-learn-discipline-so-he-can-control-his-urges is just as challenging.

All of that to say this:  when you see a picture like this...
...please realize that this tiny peek into someone's life through a blog can be distorted and misleading.  I strive to be transparent, and it's certainly not my intention to distort or mislead; but I know from personal experience how easy it is to see the words and images that make it past that "Publish" button and then to construct an identity for someone based on that limited information.  I would hate for another mom to feel bad about herself or her children, just because of a glimpse into my life.  Because trust me, we've got messes--not just scattered bowls on the floor--but character issues that we deal with, personality traits that irritate, and sinful choices that are much harder to clean up than the aftermath of Shav's playtime!

Well, now that we've established the fact that blogging is dangerous...and comparison is unhealthy...and my family has issues...let me end with something cheerful:  a picture of David's opponent in his chess game.
How good and how pleasant it is for brothers to dwell together in unity!
~ Psalm 133:1

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe it's the name! Our David is the ball of energy, sit on your brothers boy in this house! And he's the same age.

He does sit still to eat his food though, he loves his food, but other than that he sounds pretty much the same.

And he will play chess with his brothers.

Sally said...

Have you read Dr. Dobson's "Bringing Up Boys"? I've just started it. Anyway, my Paul is nothing like that book describes, and as interesting as the "Refrigerator" book looks that you pictured, as of yet, I don't think it would address my problems. I sure have them, but they aren't the same as your wiggly-David ones. I am very blessed to have a neat, cautious, thinks-things-through little boy. Of course, it could all change. I'll pray for you to have wisdom in harnessing his energy.

My problem is there are never enough hours in my day, and I'm ever so behind in every department at my house. I keep struggling to keep focused on the eternal rather than on the baskets full of laundry and the Christmas lights that are still up.

Davene Grace said...

Kirsteen - that's so interesting about your David! Wouldn't our Davids have a ball if we could ever get them together? :)

Sally - I have read that book, although it's been quite a few years ago. Paul sounds exactly like Josiah. I guess God knew after having Josiah, I needed to have things shaken up a little bit so he gave me David. :) I share your struggle to keep focused on the eternal: I know it in my head, but keeping my heart from being overwhelmed by the demands of this life is not so easy. Hang in there, friend! You are definitely at the challenging stage of young children who need much care. It won't always be this way! I read this post from my blogging friend Margie last evening, and it encouraged me so much...especially the part written on Sept. 11 is applicable to this discussion. I forget how to insert a link into a comment, so I'm just going to post it this way: http://belikethesun.blogspot.com/2011/01/looking-forward-glancing-backward.html

Julie said...

Katie and I often laugh over "If I had a blog we could put this on it" stories.

Last weekend while Steve was at a men's retreat, Katie and I took Kieran on down to the Dayton Farmer's Mkt. There was a science flip chart that Steve must have cleaned out of some school stuff between the 2 front seats, so Katie, sitting in the passenger seat of our big van, picked it up and began teaching the kids the skeletal system and various muscles just to keep them occupied.

I laughed and said we could take a picture and post about how my oldest daughter helps to homeschool her younger siblings in the van while we run errands on Saturday. Of course you can see the humor in that, knowing me in real life ;)

Hugs, friend. You are such a great mommy/teacher!

Anonymous said...

I love the transparency of this post! Unfortunately that is the issue of blogging.. its not necessarily peoples intentions.. but if they are going to blog about something why put the negative, bad, messy, etc parts out there. No one wants to try and emulate those things! That books sounds like something I am going to need to read. I have not found Sammy on the fridge.. yet... however at 18 months I found him on the counter!!

Onto the positive your little chess players are adorable!

Elizabeth said...

I know I have told you before, but I will tell you again, how much I enjoy and appreciate your writing and posting! I get so much out of it! And you are so right, it is easy to think life is perfect as your pictures are. When in reality there are a bazillion things going on behind it all.

These pictures are soooooo precious!

Thanks so much for sharing Davene!

Sarah-Anne said...

being transparent in blogging is...oh, i don't know a word that sums it up. i'm sure you know what i'm trying to say, though! ;)
Sarah-Anne

Margie said...

Davene, I love this - the honesty, the struggle, and I will look to this as a way of learning to write with honesty about some of the things that don't always work well around here. Too idealistic a picture isn't true, and yet when I write that's what my brain focuses on: the good things (there are enough not-doing-what-Mommy-asks to keep the rest of my day focused on that).

And can I also comment on the chess? Wow. I don't know how to play, but I think Elizabeth should be taught by Wayne. I suspect her brain is ready and that she would eat it up.

Sally said...

I looked up that website, Davene, and I think I need to make it one of my regular stops. That was a tremendously helpful post. Thanks for the direction.