Monday, January 2, 2017

Winter Delights

Winter is not my favorite season; but as I get older, I'm discovering more appreciation for all the seasons and the unique joys that belong to each of them.  Joys, in this season of cold and darkness, like...

...a new candle that smells FABULOUS, given to me by my friend Amanda (she's in the last picture in this post).  
Exactly how a candle in the wintertime should smell!
The symbolism of light in the darkness is meaningful, too, of course.
Another winter delight is homemade hot chocolate; and I've recently discovered a new favorite way to drink it: with a tiny bit of peppermint extract added to each mug of it.  It is SO good!
Swimming isn't normally a winter delight for us in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, but we were invited to go with some friends to an indoor pool on December 30.  There's a special pleasure that comes from knowing that outside, it's freezing cold or near it; but inside, we're happily splashing in the pool and soaking in the hot tub!  :)




 Moriah thought it was great fun to hold Brittany.  :)
 Amanda's mom, Miss Janie, thought it was great fun to hold Benjamin.  :)
 And Amanda even got a turn, too.  :)
Every winter, I feel a little challenged at the thought of staying cheerful until springtime!  Of course, when snow falls, that makes me quite cheerful.  ;-)  But during the snowless days of January and February and even into March, I want to consciously notice the special delights of this season...

...and breathe a prayer of thanks for each one of them!

No comments: