Friday, January 6, 2017

What David Loves

Tonight, long after "official" bedtime (which we never manage to hit, undisciplined bums that we are!), David got out of bed and came down the steps with a smile on his face and something on his mind.  "I think I might try to do a back flip on the trampoline at gymnastics next time," he confided.  His joy and excitement lit up his whole face, and my mind jumped back in time to the fall of 2012 when he took his first gymnastics class.  A few months after that, I pondered where the gymnastics journey might take us.  As a matter of fact, I'm still wondering that!  What I do know is that David is still taking lessons, is now at his third place of taking them, and loves it just as much as ever--probably more so, because this gym where he started lessons last fall seems to be the best fit so far for him (in short, it's a little more competitive and doesn't seem to have as many misbehaving boys in his class!).

When I was there a few weeks ago, I used my phone to snap some pictures.  I wish they were higher quality, but I'll work with what I've got.  :)



At the end of class, they got to do this relay race; and it was neck and neck.  They're not competitive at all.  ;-)

One of the great joys of parenting that I didn't really think about too much before becoming a mom is seeing my children flourish in their individual areas of talent and passion.  Having six of 'em means that I get to watch this unfolding happen numerous times--this process by which the little infant who behaves much like all the other babies around the world (eats, sleeps, poops) begins to develop and change and head off in one direction or another.  I would not, for all the world, try to fit David into the mold that Josiah is creating, nor Josiah into David's.  And neither of them would fit into Tobin's pattern!

What a delight to watch them come to life and pursue what they love...and for David, this means gymnastics.  :)

No comments: