Sunday, September 1, 2013

The One Cicada Characteristic I Envy

Cicadas are fascinating creatures.

Actually, I think virtually all of God's creatures are fascinating, if observed closely enough.  That's one of the (many!) reasons I'm grateful for homeschooling, because now that I'm old enough to appreciate it, I can (re)learn all kinds of neat things about this amazing world God made!  ;-)

But back to cicadas...  I don't know much about them, apart from their unique 17-year cycle of renewal.  But there is one thing about them that I envy: they can see how much they've grown.
Wouldn't you love to look over at an empty shell and be able to say, "Hey, that was me!  And now look at how much bigger I am!  I've really changed!  I've really grown!  I am not the same!"
I wish I could do that spiritually.  I wish I could have *proof* that I have grown and changed and become more fully like my Savior and example, Jesus.  I wish I had an empty shell I could point to.
I don't have any of that.  But what I do have is this promise...

And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
~ 2 Corinthians 3:18

No comments: