Saturday, February 22, 2014

We're All Trying to Conquer Something

Last evening, for Josiah's Family Night, his activity of choice was a fierce game of Risk...
...and while the menfolk in the family fought valiantly to conquer the world (which, in the end, David did)...
...this little girl worked just as hard to conquer something else:
putting these pieces on these prongs.
We got (or were given, I can't remember) this activity when Josiah was a very young child.
As a matter of fact, the writing on the box is in Hebrew--a happy reminder of Josiah's toddler years when we lived in Tel Aviv.
Now Moriah is the 5th child...
...to face the challenge...
...of carefully stacking these colorful shapes on these poles.
She did it!
A jubilant conqueror.  :)

(And for me, a reminder that even though the obstacles each of us is facing might not look like much to anyone else, each person's challenge is truly just that: a challenge.  How can I help those around me, in whatever way they're seeking to conquer something, rather than thinking less of them because their struggle seems easy to me?  May my eyes be open to this.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great activity! Have you noticed that she seems really good with fine motor stuff? Julia was slow to walk and talk but she has crazy fine motor skills. So fun to watch them grow. I loved your last post. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who runs out of words by 3 pm. ;)

Katie

Davene Grace said...

Katie - I haven't thought about it recently, but I would say that yes, Moriah has really good fine motor skills. What I really notice about her though is how fast she is to learn things, just by watching and imitating. Maybe because she has so many examples to follow? :) She often surprises me by the way she takes the initiative to do things, without me ever teaching her to do them (i.e. putting her shoes away in the right basket, etc.). You are so right: it is tons of fun to watch them grow! :)