Tuesday, February 25, 2014

School Snippets

So much I'd like to write about.  So little time.  Story of my (blogging) life, right?  ;-)

For tonight, I'll just jot down two special parts of our homeschooling recently.  Go ahead and file these under "Homeschooling Is a Lifestyle, and Not Just School at Home" because it's not as if these are part of our regular, "official" curriculum.  But they've been fun ways of learning and experiencing new things.

OK, first up, this morning I took the kids to a not-too-far-away glass studio where we were able to watch artisans working with molten glass: spinning it, stretching it, bending it, etc.  It was fascinating to see them work, and we enjoyed asking them questions as well.  And the gift gallery!  My goodness, what an experience of walking in beauty.  If I had not been so attentive to my four "bulls in the china shop" (as well as a small heifer, but she at least was strapped into a stroller) ;-), I would have enjoyed just looking and looking and looking for a long time at the gorgeous works of art.  When Jeff's mom comes again for a visit, we want to take her there.  :)  

That little field trip this morning wasn't hard to do, and it didn't cost anything (well, a little gas money, but that's all), and it really wasn't a big deal...but it reminded me of how much value there is in getting out and doing stuff.  Listening to my kids talk about other field trips they remember made me realize that I need to do things like this more often.  If nothing else, the bonding and memory-making that happen as a result are well worth it!  :)

Second, we've enjoyed a new-to-us series of books during the past month or two: the I Survived series by Lauren Tarshis.  The action and excitement of them sure make history come alive, and that's always a good thing.  The reading level is way easy for Josiah, but he enjoys them anyway...and I'll tell you a secret: I do, too.  ;-) Sometimes while eating a late lunch, I'll pick up one of them and read it for fun.  The last few David has read, he's come to me afterwards and said, "Mom, if you read this one, I think you'll cry at this point."  Can you believe that he's usually right?  :)

I continue to thank God for the privilege of homeschooling my beloved scholars, and I look forward to learning so much more in the years to come--together!  :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Josiah just knows you that well, or if he felt a little emotional when he was reading the book too. :)

Katie

Davene Grace said...

Katie - it was actually David who said that, but I think you're exactly right. I'm not sure he would like to admit that he wanted to cry at those spots, but I think you're spot-on when you surmised that he felt a little emotional there, too. :)

Anonymous said...

I just saw that series at TArget yesterday. I thought it looked very interesting. *Valerie