Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Smoothie 6: The Tobin

For months, maybe years, Tobin has been bringing up the topic of smoothies: specifically, when he was getting to get his own smoothie named after him.  (If you click on my "About the Word-Spiller" button and scroll to the bottom, you can see the smoothie recipes I've posted there, named after the members of our family.)  :)  Every time he talked about it, it seemed like he mentioned different ingredients and changed his mind about how exactly to make the Tobin Smoothie; but finally, last Sunday evening when I happened to have two bananas lying around (an ingredient he had always mentioned), I decided that it was time to get down to business and solidify the recipe for Tobin's very own smoothie.  The result?  :)
Into the blender, I put (by Tobin's orders) ;-)...

2 bananas
1 pint frozen blueberries
1 pint grape juice
4 ice cubes
a generous helping of strawberry yogurt

If we had had any fresh spinach, I would have put that in, too, since I always throw spinach into a smoothie if we have it on hand.  Like many people told me back in my skeptical, you-have-got-to-be-kidding-me, SPINACH-in-a-SMOOTHIE? days, you really can't taste the difference at all; and the nutritional oomph it gives the smoothie is powerful.  But this time, I didn't have any, so the color ended up a beautiful purple.

I'm so glad we finally got to make Tobin's dream of having an official smoothie named after him come true.  :)
Ironically, just a few hours after drinking this, Tobin was throwing up.  I'm absolutely sure, however, that it had nothing to do with the smoothie and everything to do with a virus that started with Moriah and got passed around in our family during the past few days.  Needless to say, I'm looking forward to making this smoothie again sometime soon--with a healthier outcome this time!  :)

1 comment:

Electric Blender said...

Best Hand Blender Reviews was worth every penny. They range from 30$ and up. I make smoothies every day with it and the clean up is much easier than a standard blender.
2. I bought 6 1 gallons of water for less than 6$ at costco. I leave it my car.
3. Prep food on your day off. When you get some down time in the week look up recipes and set your menu. Doesn't take too long. This food is healthier, cheaper, and very convenient.
4. I have Pandora and I keep track of my likes. What I like I download and create my playlist. I find shuffling your playlist to be more effective on motivation.
5. Having a partner on this journey of health makes it 50% easier.