Monday, July 14, 2014

Two Artists and an Engineer

It was way back in 2007;-)  when we first heard about a summer program of kids' classes through our local (but not particularly close to us) community college.  We had two children at the time, who looked like this...
 ...and only one was old enough to take a class.  Josiah got to learn about British Children's Literature and had a wonderful week--a super first-time experience with the Learning Can Be Fun program!

Every summer since then, we have eagerly looked through the brochure as soon as it arrives in the spring; and more years than not, one or two of the boys have taken classes there--most recently in 2012, as shown here.
"My, my, my," I think, as I look at my children now, "What a difference two years makes!"  :)

This past week found us once again making our way through the countryside twice a day, to drop off and pick up students for classes at the community college.  Only this year, a third scholar was added to the roster.
 Tobin was old enough to take a class, a Candy Land Clay workshop, David did a LEGO Robotics class, and Josiah once again did Pottery (like he did two years ago, although in that class they didn't use the wheel as much as they did this year).  Those were wise choices for each of them, and they all thoroughly enjoyed their classes.  I love it when it works out that way.  :)

One of the special things I enjoyed about this week was having extra time with Shav and Moriah.  After we would drop the bigger boys off, the three of us would return home, often having interesting and deep talks in the car.  Well, let me clarify: Shav and I had some deep talks.  Moriah, not so much.  She had some deep "listens."  ;-)
 Each day I would have a little treat for Shav--one time it was stirring up a glass of chocolate milk for him, another time it was giving him the choice of a fresh nectarine or an Oreo brownie bar (he chose the nectarine! wise boy) :), the last day it was going to Dairy Queen for french fries and an M&M Blizzard (my favorite!).  :)  I'm not sure who loved that special time more: Shav or me.  :)



 When we returned to pick up the boys, we usually rode elevators because we needed to get to the various classrooms as quickly as we could, and Moriah's speed on stairs is rather slow.  ;-)  She got to the point where she would grab hold of the railing like this when we entered an elevator, then she would often lift both of her legs and swing a little from the railing.  :)
 On the last day of his LEGO Robotics class, David and his classmates were doing demonstrations with their robots, and we enjoyed very much seeing the fruit of his labor.
 Oh, another sweet thing...  Moriah would almost always run to greet David with a hug as soon as we got to his class; and by the end of the week, she was doing that with all her big brothers.  :)
 David and his robot...
 David, his teammate Adam, and their robot...
 One bonus in this class was the fact that the teacher was someone we knew from when we attended church together several years ago.  David said he was a great teacher, and it was always nice to see a familiar face there.  :)



 After we watched David's demonstration for a little while, we headed over to Tobin's class so we could check out all the neat things he had made in his Candy Land Clay class.
 His teacher was really fantastic, which I was especially grateful for since this was his first time taking a class there.

 She awarded each of the students a certificate and encouraged them to keep making art.

 Don't his creations look good enough to eat?  :)
 Interestingly, Tobin was the only boy in his class; and on the last day his teacher told me that he often sat with her during snack time.  :)
 Shav wanted to be in a picture, too; and he has already announced to me that he can hardly wait until he is old enough to take that class!  :)  Tobin was really good at coming home and explaining in detail to us how exactly he had made his various projects that day, and I relished seeing him in that teacher role.  :)
 Josiah took a Pottery class and did all of his work on the wheel, which he really loves doing.  I've never done a bit of pottery-making, so he's way past me with his skill, and I think it's great.  :)  Because his pottery needs time to dry, then needs to be glazed and then fired, I can't show you his finished products yet...but it's likely I will at some point in the future.  :)

After the final classes were over, we paused on this bridge to take a few pictures...

...and then the boys wanted to have a race across the lawn.  Little Sister tagged along, too.  :)
 On your mark...
 ...get set...
 ...GO!


 Not to be outdone, Moriah ran across the lawn, too.
 The boys got to the finish line, turned to look at Moriah...
 ...then got ready to race back.
 She was still going one way...
 ...when they raced past her the other way.
 But after they finished their race, a couple of them ran back to be with her again.  :)
And thus ended one of the highlights of the summer of 2014.  The boys are already talking about which classes they'll take next year.  :)

Now, provided we have no more national holidays to celebrate, no more scary reptile sightings, and no more outstanding personal accomplishments, I might--yes, I just might--actually get back to the series of posts I was doing about the choir tour Josiah and I went on back in June.  Wouldn't it be amazing if I could actually finish that up this week?

But don't hold your breath; I wouldn't want you to pass out.  ;-)

4 comments:

Anna said...

Those little moments are a treasure!

Anonymous said...

What awesome classes! Would you mind sending me a link to where those classes were. I think Sammy would LOVE that next summer!

Amy said...

I'm so glad that David enjoyed the class with Mike. Did you see the news clip on their class that week?

Davene Grace said...

Amy - David REALLY did enjoy that class, and I loved seeing Mike in the teacher role. Obviously, he's been in that role for a long time! But it was the first time I had ever seen him in it. :) I did not see that news clip, but David told me that some of the kids in his class were talking about it.

Lindsay - sent you a message. Maybe we'll bump into you there next year? :)

Anna - so true! :)