Tuesday, July 29, 2014

A Significant Turn on the Wheel of Life

Today my sweet little two-year-old daughter brought me a flower for the first time.

I was sitting outside at the picnic table, preparing green beans from the garden for our supper, when Moriah came up to me with something in her outstretched hand that she wanted me to take.  It was a tiny yellow flower that she had found in our yard and picked for me.
Now I'm no stranger to receiving hand-picked bouquets of wildflowers (otherwise known as weeds) ;-), but this was the first time my daughter had ever done that, and it touched my heart.
 The itsy-bitsy flower she found was dwarfed by the dandelions that Tobin and David gave me...
...but I don't think the love behind the action was any less.  ;-)

**********

On the very same day I received my first flower from my little girl, my dad received a phone call from the Alzheimer's unit at the nursing home where my mom has been on the waiting list for about 6 or 7 months.  A room will be available soon for her.

To place such a dear loved one into the care of others is an excruciating step to take, but sometimes it seems to be the only thing to do.

**********

As I rejoice in the passing of time in my daughter's life that leads to greater maturity for her and greater depth in our relationship, I lament the passing of time in my mother's life that leads her further away from me.  Wasn't it just a few years ago that I was a little girl, picking flowers from this yard to give to my beloved mother?

Oh, wheel of life, if only your turning could solely serve to heighten joy and never to bring grief!

8 comments:

Julie said...

Oh Davene. No words right now only hugs and love. Such bittersweetness. I love you and your heart.

Anonymous said...

Praying for each of you, including your Mom! Gail

Emily said...

Davene - I can't imagine how your whole family is feeling right now. Praying for peace and comfort. Especially for your mom who probably doesn't understand what is going on. Sending love as well

Todd said...

Thank you for being such an example of "Honor Mom and Dad." I know God will bless your whole family through your faithfulness.

Anonymous said...

We sadly had to put my mom on a memory unit in January it was by far the hardest and most painful thing I have ever done in my 43 years on this earth. There is not one day that goes by that this choice and the losses we have experienced through the disease of alzhiemers weighs so very heavily on my mind every single day. xo

Valerie said...

Oh, Davene, I cried when I read this post. Your mom will always be someone I look up to and admire...and thank for raising you! May God continue to pour out His grace to your family as you continue to seek Him in this trial. Aren't we glad we have eternity to look forward to...new bodies and minds! Give your mama a special hug from me! Love to all of you, Valerie

Anonymous said...

Davene, my heart and prayers are with you and your sweet mama right now. What a blessing to have such cherished memories of her documented for you and your children to read back over on your blog. She has a precious legacy. Hugs, Himilce

Margie said...

Davene, this made me cry! I've gotten on FB so little, and to read this, just, wow. Love your posts about your life. Thanks for sharing with all of us.