Sunday, February 8, 2015

Brother/Sister Love

When people find out I'm expecting, one of the questions I'm commonly asked is, "Are you hoping for a girl so Moriah will have a sister?"
 It's a perfectly natural question to ask, of course; and I don't mind answering it.  If I only have a few seconds, I simply smile and say, "Either would be just fine."  But if I have a minute or two, this is, in essence, what I say...
 "Sure, it would be fun for Moriah to have a little sister, but a little brother would be great, too!  My brother David and I are only two years apart, and we were extremely close as we grew up, so I know firsthand that a brother and sister can be great friends.  Many times I watch Moriah and the fun she has with her next-oldest brother Shav, and it brings joy to my heart; I can just imagine that a younger brother would be really special for Moriah to have, too.  Plus, she is so maternal that I think she'll be thrilled no matter what the baby is!!"  :)
Despite the entrance of one girl into our family, my default mindset is still soundly in the "we're having a boy" camp, so it's very natural for me to think of this baby as a he, despite my lack of a strong sense that that is what it is!

But whether a boy or a girl, I am confident this child will be loved and adored by all of us--and maybe especially by the new big sister.  :)

2 comments:

Valerie said...

When are you due? :)

Davene Grace said...

Valerie - Sept. 13. :) We don't have a child born in that month, or in either of the immediately surrounding months, so we're looking forward to having a fall baby. (Well, *almost* fall.) :)