Thursday, December 18, 2014

Tree in the Morning, Tree in the Evening

Ever since the year when I foolishly put off wrapping gifts until Christmas Eve, which meant that instead of relaxing with my family in the cozy living room enjoying an evening of peace and joy, I was sequestered away in my bedroom, hurriedly shoving gifts into gift bags and scribbling names on gift tags...ever since that year, I have made a conscious effort to wrap Christmas gifts early so that when Christmas Eve comes, I am free to relish every second of that most precious of evenings (probably my favorite night of the whole year).

This year, I had not yet made the time to do much wrapping.  Well, until yesterday.

Here is what the tree looked like in the morning...
 ...with no gifts on the white eyelet tree skirt my mother made (and that red wooden fence was made by her daddy).  :)
But by yesterday evening, after devoting some fun hours to this project, this is how the tree looked.
 A little different.  ;-)
Some of this was done by the boys, who give gifts to each of their siblings and consequently get to choose how those gifts are wrapped.
 But the rest I did...
 ...and I was glad to do it!
I DO love to give gifts, and I DO love to help my children give meaningful gifts to each other, and I DO look forward to Christmas morning when the joy in my heart appears on the faces of my children as they open these presents, and I DO give thanks for Jesus, the inspiration for our custom of giving gifts to each other!!  :)

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Davene--
This past week, one of my young mom friends told me of a Christmas eve from years past (she thinks she had a nursing babe) when the children were tucked into bed after the Christmas eve service. She told her husband that all of the gifts needed to be wrapped. Being the take-charge person that he is (and exhausted dad that he was), he promptly said, "No, we're going to bed." The next morning, the children took turns handing one large Christmas bag over the sofa to their hiding daddy who quickly stuffed each gift in one at a time till all the gifts were given out. They got more rest that night and now they have a funny story! I told her I'm not sure I would've been as submissive as she was. (We always wrap the gifts!) I'm glad she was!!