Thursday, December 25, 2014

The Most Sentimental Gift

Such a special day it was.  Such a thankful heart I have.  Such a lot of pictures to go through!  ;-)

But for tonight, one little snippet...

If there had been a prize awarded for Most Sentimental Gift given in our household today, without a doubt it would have gone to this...
...a baby bed that we think used to be mine.  A couple months ago, Jeff got it down from the attic at my parents' house and fixed it up and painted it in preparation for us to give it to Moriah for Christmas.  We gave her a big, soft doll, so it was only fitting that we give her a doll bed, too; and, as you'll see when I post more pictures from our Christmas celebration, David gave her a doll stroller, so it was a Doll & Accessories kind of Christmas for Moriah.  :)
But what made this gift even more sentimental, besides the history of the bed, was the fact that I took one of my mother's old dresses--a pink and white flowered one that my mother loved and often wore, but which didn't fit her any longer--and asked my neighbor Wilma if she could use the fabric from that to make covers for the mattress and pillow for the doll bed.
 She kindly agreed, and her son Jason knocked on our door first thing on the morning of Christmas Eve to deliver the newly-covered mattress and pillow.
 It will be a while until Moriah understands the significance of all of this...
 ...but until then, she can simply enjoy the doll bed for its own sake, just like she did this morning.
 After the new doll was carefully placed in the bed, she was lovingly tucked in with two blankets--just like Moriah has two blankets when she sleeps in her bed.  One blanket was a yellow one with "You are my sunshine" embroidered on it that we bought early on in our first pregnancy, and the other blanket was one that is white on one side, pink on the other, and on the white side are stitched the outlines of various animals.  I know that blanket is old, and I'm thinking that it might even have been one that my parents used for me when I was a baby, but I can't verify that fact for sure.
I suppose now it's easy to see why this gift receives the Most Sentimental award!  :)
 More to come tomorrow (I hope!) about the rest of our Christmas celebration!  :)

2 comments:

Pam said...

That is just precious Davene; that is a present she will always treasure, even when she is grown. It is beautiful. Love how you made pillow and sheets with an old dress of your Mom's.
Merry Christmas week.
Love and Blessings,
Pam

sally said...

That is so precious! And Moriah is just adorable. I know she is going to have so much fun playing dolly with her new doll and accessories. Can't wait to see more!