Monday, September 25, 2017

The Time Josiah Was Benjamin

When I was a senior in high school, my school celebrated its 75th anniversary; and as part of the festivities, we sang (if my memory is correct) a piece that Alice Parker wrote for the occasion--and she came to be with us and possibly direct it.  Somewhere around here (but currently safely hidden away where no one can find it, myself included!) is a picture of me with her.  Someday I'll unearth it!  ;-)

At the time, she seemed ancient to my 16-year-old eyes.  Never could I have imagined that 25 years later, I would see Alice Parker again...and what's more, that my firstborn would sing in her opera and have his picture taken with her!!

But look!  Here it is!  Although it's a low-quality cellphone picture, you can see that the lady in purple front and center is none other than Alice Parker herself, and the black-vested young man behind her is my son!
How did such a thing come about?  It was like this...

Shortly before we left for Camp-of-the-Woods, Josiah was asked to be in an opera called Singers Glen.  The composer of the opera?  Alice Parker.  The subject of it?  A man named Joseph Funk who compiled the hymnal that is still used (later editions of it, of course) in the Harmonia Sacra singings that I so enjoy.  Josiah's role?  The youngest son of Joseph Funk--Benjamin, obviously (what else would youngest sons be named?).  ;-)

With our impending trip which would knock Josiah out of the first several rehearsals, we weren't sure whether he could/should do it; but the director informed us that it was just fine for Josiah to miss the beginning practices.  He could catch up after our vacation.

And so he did, using my help just a little to get started with the music, but then doing it almost entirely on his own--except for our help to drive him to rehearsals.  His driver's license is on the horizon, but isn't here yet.  ;-)

A few days ago, during their dress rehearsal, I took a few pictures and videos--not high-quality, as you can see, but enough to give a feel for it and capture a memory for us.










Josiah's role as the youngest son meant that he was a little bit of a troublemaker and, in particular, he got into mischief when he kept initiating dancing (horrors!) during the singing school.  We're talking about Mennonites in the mid-1800s, so the dancing was mild, to say the least.  ;-)  But it was still enough to get Joseph in trouble with the bishop for his lack of discipline with his children!

They had three performances this weekend: two on Saturday and one yesterday.  I got to go to the Saturday evening one and the Sunday afternoon one, and I relished the chance to be reminded of a bit of history from my home area, hear some of the grand old hymns from Harmonia Sacra, and best of all, watch my oldest son have a ball in his first real experience with musical theater.
 He ate it up like candy.  Can you tell?  ;-)
This opera, Singers Glen, is only performed every five years in this area, so we'll have to wait a while for another chance to see it; but the memories will linger of this special weekend when Josiah shone on the stage...

...and when, for once in his life, he got to be Benjamin!  ;-)

1 comment:

Carol said...

That is fabulous! How exciting for your son!!