Monday, November 3, 2014

Love Letters {that Didn't Come from Hallmark}

One Sunday morning, a week or two ago, Shav was keeping himself quiet in our church service by doodling on an old pad of paper from when my dad was still in practice; and after a little time had gone by, he handed me this.
Awwww, sweet!  I love you, too, son!  :)

Then he wrote this; and even though it was missing the "MOM" of the previous note, I still took it to mean that he was addressing his love to me.  :).

Then he drew Jesus on the cross.

Then he drew...ninjas??  Not sure what they have to do with a Sunday morning church service, but perhaps there's some connection.  ;-)

And then he drew this and told me it was his own secret language.
Don't worry, my boy; no one's EVER going to crack that code!  ;-)

Not long after that, I was going through an old storage box of stuff that I probably shoved in there at least two years ago; and I discovered a bunch of napkins that I had written, probably for Josiah when he was taking pottery classes and took a snack along with him.  As I packed his snack bag each day, I wrote a note and slipped it inside for him to discover later, and this is what I wrote.






A little further down in the box, I came across these birthday greetings for Jeff, one that Josiah colored and wrote on the back of...


...and another that David drew.  :)

I also unearthed a note David wrote to me.  His code name, by the way, is 00D--inspired, of course, by 007 (not that he's ever watched any of those movies), but with his own twist.  Oops!  Now the cat's out of the bag and everyone will know who he is!  Don't tell him I told you!!  ;-)

Finding those notes reminded me of one that Tobin wrote recently.  He very sweetly expressed his love for David, Shav, and me; but it just so happened that his writing was completely backwards!  No matter.  His affection comes through loud and clear just the same.  :)

A scratch pad, some napkins, a piece of notebook paper--it really doesn't matter.  The important thing is the love.  And I'm grateful beyond telling for the abundance of it that surrounds me.  :)

1 comment:

sally said...

I loved this! You are inspiring me to write more notes to my children.