Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Best Part of the Day

This Sunday seemed extra special, filled to the brim with moments that made me smile and that I want to keep in my heart to treasure.  But I can't figure out what was the best part...

Was it the church service this morning and having Tobin and Shav stay in the main service with us (because they both had lingering sniffles/coughs and we didn't want to expose the other kids in their class, just in case some nasty germs are hanging around us)?  They did SO WELL--happily entertained by new Curious George coloring books that Jeff and I just happened to buy for them at the dollar store last evening during our date (not knowing that the boys would be in the service with us today and might benefit from a new little something to keep them occupied).  Usually when my kids are in the service with me, I'm a little tense, ready to hush them if they get noisy or intervene immediately if a sibling dispute breaks out.  But this morning was a very peaceful, completely wonderful experience of having them with us, and I'm grateful for that!

Was it our conversation in the car after the service, when Jeff brought up a name from his family tree that he'd like to use as the middle name if we have another son...and then the boys got into the conversation and we all started talking about what to name another boy?  Josiah pushed hard for Obadiah; and when I said the kid would inevitably end up with the nickname "Obie" (I'm not sure how to spell it, but it sounds like "Oh-bee"), the boys liked it even better.  "Like Obi-Wan Kenobe!" they shouted.  "Sure," I was thinking, "because I've always wanted to name a child of mine after a Star Wars character...NOT!  And furthermore, WHY are we having this conversation?  I'm not pregnant, and I really don't think this is something we need to figure out right now!!"  ;-)

Was it our lunch at Country Cookin' when once again, the boys behaved wonderfully, leading to two separate conversations with strangers who remarked, as we were leaving the restaurant, on how well-behaved our children were and what a special family we are?  Although I always think my kids are special, I'm not so blind as to think they are always well-behaved!  :)  But today they were, and I was grateful.  I also made a mental note that when I'm an old lady and go out to eat, I'm going to look around the restaurant and try to spot a family with young kids that are behaving well, and then I'm going to go over to them and compliment them.  The two old ladies who did that for us today probably have no idea how much sunshine they added to my day!  I wish I could tell them "thank you" again...  :)

Was it the early part of the afternoon here at home, when everyone settled down for naps/quiet time and I got to sit in our new recliner, put my feet up, read from Bringing Up Girls by Dr. Dobson, scratch Jed's back (he LOVES it), then fall asleep with faithful Jed snoozing on the floor beside my recliner?

Was it Josiah and David asking me to jump on the trampoline with them when they had finished quiet time but everyone else was still asleep...and I said "yes"...and we jumped and had such a good time, even though the air was a little chilly?

Was it watching Jeff and the oldest three boys having a bonfire this evening?  There's something primitive and wild about making fire, and I get to experience that--to a small degree--every day when I make fires in our woodstove.  I know the boys LOVED helping Jeff with the bonfire this evening, and I loved watching them and hearing their exclamations.  :)

Was it completely organizing and decluttering Tobin and Shav's room this evening while Jeff and the boys ate popcorn and watched a movie downstairs?  Seeing order emerge from chaos is deeply gratifying to my soul.

Was it sitting down to edit Moriah's 10-month pictures tonight, and getting stuck at this one because I just can't believe that something so lovely, so pure, so precious, so beautiful could come from me?

Well, I give up.  I can't decide which part was really the best.  :)  But no matter what, I'm grateful for all the moments that have made today such a special one for me.  :)

4 comments:

Sally said...

I'm sitting here with my mouth hanging open, my eyes bulging out, and in near shock and amazement. You did all that in one day?! And you even relaxed and read a book?! You are at the top, my friend.

Anyway, I think it's great that you had so many wonderful moments and events during your day. Sundays are days that have so many opportunities for stress and things backfiring. My kids, Marie and Rachel, did the best during church today that they've done for a while. Maybe it was universal!

Actually, Rachel has had a better day today than usual, and I think it's because sometime yesterday her left upper front tooth finally came through. I'm SO HAPPY!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful day! JDaniel would have loved to join the bonfire gang.

Valerie said...

My kids have the same name picked out for a boy! Adaiah was actually calling Keturah by the wrong name for a short time because we were so convinced we were having a boy. I too admit that I wanted nothing to do with the obie kanobie (sp?!) nickname, but the name certainly grew on me and I now love it. :)

Reading about your day made me tired... but it did sound like a lovely day! I love it when people compliment my children when we are out and about. It gives me the extra boost I usually need to finish being out and about! :)

Davene Grace said...

Thanks, friends, for your comments! :)

Sally & Valerie, this day was actually quite relaxing! But maybe the way I presented it made it seem busy and full. Here's what I didn't say...maybe this will change your perspective.

I DIDN'T do any cooking. Sunday breakfasts are always quick and on the go (granola bars at home or bags of cereal in the car, etc.), so no cooking at all involved. For lunch we ate out, and for supper we had popcorn!

I DIDN'T do many (or any?) dishes.

I DIDN'T do any laundry.

I DIDN'T do regular homeschool stuff.

Those things which normally take quite a bit of time each day didn't happen at all, so that freed me up for other (more fun!) things.

Another factor is that we went to the early service at our church (9:00 a.m.), and that ALWAYS makes it feel like there is so much more time in the day. :)

I did have one more special activity that I meant to include but forgot when I wrote the original post. In the afternoon, after we jumped on the trampoline, I sat in our new recliner and read aloud from the book Johnny Tremain while Josiah and David played (doing a puzzle, etc.) in the living room. I so much enjoy reading aloud to my children, and all three of us are really enjoying that book! So that was one more wonderful part of the day. :)