Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Three Quarters of a Century {Mother's Birthday!}

As my mother's 75th birthday approached, I talked with my dad and made some plans for how to celebrate--plans like having her come for dinner the day before her birthday (because on her birthday, my kids were involved in choir rehearsals, and we wouldn't have had a chance to all be around the table together) and making a homemade-from-scratch angel food cake (the kind of cake I ALWAYS make for her birthday).

None of my plans included her having a bad fall five days before her birthday, fracturing her skull, and spending most of four days in the hospital; and when those unexpected events happened, I assumed Mother would still be hospitalized and we would simply postpone the birthday celebration until a later date.  But then--thankfully!--she was able to be released earlier than we had been told; and by her birthday, she was back "home"--in a new-to-us area of Bridgewater Home.

On Monday afternoon, her actual birthday, the kids and I were delighted to take a couple balloons and some cards and go visit her.  And I think she was delighted to see us.  :)




After I had snapped these pictures, Mother leaned down and planted a kiss on the top of Shav's head, and then did the same to Tobin.  I've thought a lot recently about how, even though she's lived three quarters of a century now and has had Alzheimer's Disease for the last 13 or so years, she still demonstrates the fruits of the Spirit in beautiful abundance.  Her love and joy and peace and patience and kindness and goodness and so forth are still there, and that is a gift to all who come in contact with her.

I still haven't had a chance to make that angel food cake for Mother, but I plan to.  Even though her official birthday is over, we're still celebrating; and the remembrance of her recent injury makes her presence among us even sweeter.

Happy birthday, dearest Mother!  I'll love you forever!  ♥

No comments: