Friday, August 14, 2020

No More Candyland?

It felt like the end of an era.

On July 26, a Sunday evening, I had some free time and asked my two youngest children if they would like to play a game--"maybe Candyland?", I suggested.

In the past, this would have been met with enthusiasm, and the ancient Candyland game (the one I had played when I was a very young child) would have been carried up cheerfully from the game closet downstairs.  But on this particular evening, Moriah and Benjamin said, "We don't want to play Candyland. Could we play Skip Bo instead?"

Well, yes.  We could, and we did.  I enjoy a good game of Skip Bo, to be sure!  But my heart seized up a little.

When did my littlest guy get big enough to actually play a game like Skip Bo?  Have we outgrown our Candyland years?

1 comment:

The Coderlambian said...

I know! We celebrate ’firsts’ all the time! First word, first tooth, first steps...But so many of the ‘last’s’ sneak by w/out notice...(well maybe we remember last box of diapers...😊) But I think we usually look back and realize, “wow, they don’t play w/ their trains anymore, or dinosaurs, or...,” and the ‘lasts’ fade in to history unannounced. SO, melancholy as it may be, I’m so glad you noticed!!! I think those changes are cherished milestones as much as the ‘firsts’.